Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Rebelution

Hello!

the reason I haven't actually writing that much is because I've been busy with graduation stuff, my sister is go to Europe, and birthdays. and I had to figure out what to post about. But I know what to post about now so....


Rebelution, Do Hard things.




My brother and I went to the conference on 6/21 and it was amazing! It talked about how to do hard things and how we have fallen to meet expectations. Here is a site that puts VERY low expectations for preteens and teens.




I will talk about it a little bit. She says that preteens should pick up/vacuum/ dust their room weekly With some parental help. I would rather have my parents stay our of my room most of the time :). She goes on to say some other stuff that your preteen should be expected to do. She says that young teens and older teens are expected to do a daily household chore, cleaning their room Without help from mom or dad.


(Note that I am not trying to dishonor her or anything else by talking about this stuff. She made some good points, just not all of them good.)


In her article, she says that teens should not be expected to do all of the things, just some of them. Alex and Brett (that's the 2 brothers that talked at he conference) just made clear how low the expectations have fallen. And, as they rightly said, when the expectations are high, people rise to meet them, when expectations are low, people fall to meet them. I will probably talk more about this in my next post.


The candlestone wasn't my favorite of the series, though it is still good.
The Candlestone is a contemporary fantasy novel, the second of a series of books for pre-teens and young adults. Along with a unique blend of fantasy and real life, it delivers action and inspiration through the adventures of two young teens, Billy Bannister and Bonnie Silver.

Billy and Bonnie wonder about a number of unsolved mysteries. What was the strange book that the dragon slayers used to summon a dragon? Where is the magnificent sword that seemed to disintegrate the evil Devin? And what happened to The Candlestone, that strange gem, always absorbing light and with it the powers of dragons or dragon children within its sphere of influence?

The Candlestone not only absorbs light, it captures and holds encoded light, including transluminated humans, people who have been transformed into light energy by Excalibur, King Arthur’s great sword. When Bonnie enters the stone herself, she learns that many disembodied souls have fallen prey to the gems powers, but no one has ever escaped.

The two teens face their greatest fears, and they learn to use their strengths, both innate and newly found, as they battle powerful enemies, ancient fiends from times long past, and the horrors of the blackest of prisons, captivity with the walls of unearthly darkness, the crystalline tomb of The Candlestone.
The question is....
Name five children of Samwise Gamgee.

3 comments:

Ms. Hope said...

How does a parent communicate high expectations without communicating a performance orientation? As a parent, I want my children to have high goals and ideals, but I want those aspirations to come from inside themselves, not be dictated by me. I believe that by nurturing my children's self-esteem, while still requiring that they perform tasks, I can produce adults who will believe in their calling and ability. Of course, keeping the truths of the Bible in mind through everything is crucial. True self esteem comes from knowing who you are in Jesus Christ.

How do you, as a teen, differentiate "doing hard things" from a performance orientation (that is, "having" to perform in order to feel worthy)?

servant4jesus said...

I have to do things I don't want to do, kind of like a sacrifice. And to do things that an older person would do. Brett and Alex's younger brother was the head of the camera team thing.

Miranda said...

I know what you mean about cleaning your room BY YOURSELf. Simple, but key, especially for those of us who are independent. I like your thoughts...I think most parents of teens swing either towards unrealistic expectations, or no expectations (i.e. their children are not expected to do much or be anything in particular). There should be a happy medium.